Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Where is my focus?

This morning I spent some time in I Samuel, and it brought to mind the same thoughts that I had when I read it several years ago. The following is something that I wrote a couple of years ago when I was struggling within my singleness and trying to get all of my thoughts out. I had to answer for myself the question of “Where is my focus?” I pick here about the middle of the chapter I wrote.

First of all, if our passion is Christ then our focus should be only on Him. 24-7-365, our focus should be on the upward, focusing on God. That is not to say that we should become so enraptured with the things of the Lord that we lose sight of what is going on around us. To the converse, when our vision is totally and completely fixated on the Lord and does not waver, the rest of what is going on around us falls into place as He would have it too. When my eyes are focused on the Lord, my relationships whether they be with myself, my family, my friends, my acquaintances, my co-workers, or the opposite sex all fall into the place that God wants them to be. I do not have to fret and worry myself sick, keep myself up at night pondering about this situation or another; when my focus is on the Lord the rest of my life will be where it is supposed to be.
This brings an answer then to the question, “What has He called me to do?” He has called me to focus on Him. Period. THE END! My ministry, my calling, my everything will rise out of that simple truth.
In scripture, King David is an amazing example of this. God spoke to David through the prophet Samuel and let him know that He was going to be king of Israel. David at the time was a wee shepherd boy, last in a line of big strong just as qualified if not more qualified older brothers. Not only that, but there was already a king on the throne.
So what did David do, he took his sword and shield, gathered up a band of brothers and a few close friends and began a strategic takeover of King Saul. Um…NEGATIVE!!
David stayed in the fields tending sheep. He acknowledged that God had a direct plan for him and so he set his focus on the Lord and did not let it waver. Later he would become a servant of King Saul and best friend to the king’s son. Still he did not promenade around the king’s court declaring that he had it on good authority that he would one day sit on the throne of his current boss. Instead he humbly ministered to the king with songs that the Lord put in his heart, he went to battle for the king, and even after the king turns against him and tries in vain to kill him, he spares the life of the king two times.
As we read through all of I & II Samuel and through the Psalms we see David’s life; we see happy times and sad, we see struggles and victory, we see him fall into sin and repent. Through it all we see a man whose vision was focused on the Lord, whose passion was the Lord. Because of this, the events of David’s life fell into place as God intended, with God’s perfect timing and guidance. His ministry and callings changed several times starting as a shepherd, becoming a servant and a soldier, and finally becoming a ruler of God’s chosen people, and a direct ancestor to the King of Kings; however, his passion never changed. God not only honored him by making this small shepherd boy a king, he gave him double honor by declaring him a “Man after God’s own Heart.”
So what is your passion? Can you with a pure heart give the answer of “God.”? Or is your passion focused on what you feel you are called to out of some sort of guilt lead duty? Maybe you don’t have a passion? My challenge to you is to spend some time seeking God’s passion. Spend some time alone with Him, ASK Him, and then WAIT for His answer.

No comments: