Tuesday, February 28, 2006

What if I had never met you?

What if I never met you?
While recently watching a rerun of a show about 4 friends….one of the characters was leaving for a long time, and posed the very sentimental question. "What if I had never met you?" I having said so many hellos and good-byes in my life began to cry…and then I sat with my cup of decaf in hand, and thought……

What if I had never met you?
Who would I be today if my life as I remember it did not include you?
Would I wake up ready to face the day?
Would I be as happy?
Would I have cried so many tears?
Would I have prayed as many prayers?
Would I have laughed as loudly, or as long?
Would be able to sing like I do?
Would I be able to dance as carefree?
Would I care the way I do?
Would I be as tall?
Would I have a place to live?
Would I have traveled?
Would I know how to drive?
Would I know how to walk?
Would I know how to read?
Would I know how to write?
Would I know how to study?
Would I know how to work?
Would I know how to set a goal?
Would I have dreamed the dreams that I dream?
Would I have accomplished as much as I have accomplished so far?
Would I have seen the ocean or the desert?
Would I have seen the stars in the same way?
Would I look at the moon and see a man/a dragon and a rabbit?
Would I have self respect?
Would I appreciate art?
Would I be able to face a challenge?
Would I know how to use a camera?
Would I know how to look at a face and not see color?
Would I feel as loved?
Would I know how to love?
Would I have rejoiced in rejoicing?
Would I have praised God as often?
Would I know Jesus?
Would I know myself?
Would I have the ability that no matter where I am in the world, to be home?

I can think of a million more questions and shudder at the answers? My life would not be whole without you in it. If you are in my life…you make up part of me. To even begin to fathom a life without all that I have and all that I have had….no…I cannot. To begin to thank you for every memory….I cannot….Thank you is not enough.

No comments: