Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The "but nots" of our heart

It has been a while since I blogged. Thank you so much for the many of you that have emailed or called to check on me and mine. I am so grateful for friends like you!
Over the past few months my family has been through quite a battle …one that is not over yet. However, I would like to share with you something that the Lord has given to me as a promise to cling to during this time.

This wonderful truth first came from Eric Mason, a pastor in inner city Philadelphia. He preached at our church a few weeks ago and since that time the Lord has brought his words back to my mind again and again; and, as He always does when he wants us to learn something, He has affirmed them in several other situations.
Eric was preaching on brokenness….something I will share more details of in an upcoming blog…but one point that he made that was so striking to me was the “but nots” of the Bible. For example in 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.” And in looking at the life of Job, the Lord allowed the enemy to do whatever he wanted to Job, “but not” take his life. Eric put it so poignantly when he said the “but nots” of the Word are the backstage passes to our soul that only the Lord has issue and access too. Beautiful!

The Lord may use the enemy and his attack as a conduit to His will, but He is still in control and will only allow the enemy to go so far.
This promise of the Word has been so incredibly true and perfect in my heart these past few months.
The recent release of Mercy Me’s “Bring the Rain” also came at an apropos time. I will leave you with the lyrics:
I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty

1 comment:

MC said...

"...what's a little rain?" I know sometime "a little rain" feels more like a hurricane, but, I suppose, in the grand scheme of things, it is just that: a little rain. That you can stay so focused and positive as the rain continues to fall is so admirable.

Hmmm... guess what just came on the radio... just got chills.