Thursday, February 26, 2009

A new day....new mercies

I have a vision poster on my bulletin board...it has words and phrases cut out from magazines and helps me focus in on things that I forget to think about.  I have another one that just has verses of scripture.  

At the top of one of them it says "Who are you today?" Followed by words of truth about myself.   I see this when I first wake up in the morning, and then as I walk into my bathroom I see a sticky note on my mirror that says "Mediocrity or World Change...Your choice - have a great day!"

The verses of scripture that are currently up for me to see (they change from time to time) revolve around faith.  
Hebrews 11:6 - Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those that earnestly seek Him.  
Galatians 5:6 - The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
I John 5:4 - Everyone born of God overcomes the world.  This the victory that has overcome the world even our faith.
Numbers 23:19 - God is not a man that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind.  He has said, and will He not do it?  Or has He spoken, and He will not fulfill it?
II Corinthians 3:16-18 " But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed.  now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom.  And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another.  For this comes from the Lord who is Spirit."

These are words and phrases that I have put around to keep my mind focused on where it should be.  Yet still so often I fail.  So often I still go off into fantasy land thinking, "life would be so much better if", or into the land of worry, "Where will I be tomorrow, where is God taking  me", or into the valley of disgruntlement (not even sure if that is a word but it is for sure a place), "Why am I only this far along in my life, and why do I seem to never get any farther?"

These words...lies...that often fill my head are so dangerous.  Where is the voice of Truth in any of that?  One time a comedian that I enjoy called worry "future-tripping", and said when you go "future tripping" you go to a place that doesn't exist, and God cannot dwell in a place that does not exist.

So, my confession this morning is that I have been future tripping.  I have been wandering in the land of "what if", worrying about tomorrow, focusing on what I cannot control, rather than holding fast and leaning in to the One who is totally in control.  Only He can turn my dreams into reality.  I want to be where He is so that my Joy may increase.  

One of the phrases on my board says "every day brings a chance to start over", on the board with scripture a verse I have says "His mercies are new every morning."  So today, is a chance to start over once again.  To focus my heart on Him.  To put my trust fully in the God of the universe and stop trying to run the universe myself.  Imagine the possibilities!!

No comments: