Thursday, September 18, 2008

A re-thinking of life as I know it

I recently got rid of my cable...yes I felt that intake of a gasp as those words were read....
But here is where the Lord is leading me right now.
Time spent alone in front of TV or with TV on each week = 3 hours a night 5 nights a week 15HRS
Time spent with Jesus = 1 hour a day 5 days a week - 5 hours (hmm that doesn't add up)
Time spent with friends pouring into each others lives - 2 hours (WHAT!)
Time spent in ministry helping change the lives of others - 4 hours
Ok so all of the other time together still does not add up to the amount of time I was wasting watching TV.

Then I began to add up some other things...
Cable per month $44
Sponsoring a child through Compassion international $32
Missionary friends that could use an extra $50 in support- numerous

So I got rid of cable. I won't miss anything but garbage for the most part anyway... almost every show out there compromises my walk in some way anyway.
Instead I get to use that money towards better things, that time towards the enriching of others lives....I don't know if this is a forever decision, but it is definately a for now decision....life is too short so spend hours alone watchin....

In the words of T.S. Elliot The remarkable thing about television is that it permits several million people to laugh at the same joke and still feel lonely.

What else will He change in me if I let Him? Oh the amazing possibilities!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amanda, I am soooooo proud of you!! Words can't describe how much I miss you and love you. Keep furthering the Kingdom girl!!!

Unknown said...

Yes, but how will I picture you during next years draft? Every year I know that Amanda is watching the draft AND baseball at the same time. Not too sure about this.

Tigpan said...

This year simply know I am somewhere doing something much more important that watching perfectly nice kids ruined by million dollar contracts that they will soon blow on drugs and "fancy" living. Though I am still in love with sports, I am finding that somewhere in the back of my mind God keeps telling me I will have to give account one day for time wasted. It might not be as wasted if I spend it with a bunch of friends and we are allowing community happen, but never again will I watch it alone while the rest of the world goes by...life is too short.