Monday, May 08, 2006

Waiting

I read an article the other day on the “Enormous Leisure of GOD.” The particular illustration was of the person Moses. He knew that he was the person who was supposed to free GOD’s people from their slavery, however while he was ready to go right then and free his brothers and sister’s from bondage. GOD had other plans. He sent him into the desert for 40 years to herd sheep!!

Now, think with me here. This man has been raised in the palace of the Pharaoh. Couldn’t GOD have chosen to use him then? I mean he had pretty good access as the adopted son of the princess. But though humanly this would have been ideal, GOD had a greater plan. A plan that took 40 years to bring about.

Why 40 years? To we as humans this seems like…well, almost half a lifetime. But in GOD’s mind 40 years was really nothing. The Bible says that to GOD a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day. For him 40 years is like a blink.

So what is my point here…..

Why am I so impatient? I am SO tired of waiting on the Lord. Yet at every turn and step I try to take that is what GOD is telling me to do. Over and over I hear…

Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD”

Wait here”

Wait for HIS reply”

“Should I continue to wait, now that you are silent? Must I also remain silent?”

“for I am waiting for you, O LORD. You must answer for me, O Lord my GOD.”

“I waited patiently for the LORD to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry.”

“They have set an ambush for me. Fierce enemies are out there waiting, though I have done them no wrong, O LORD”

“You are my strength; I wait for you to rescue me, for you, O GOD, are my place of safety.”

“I wait quietly before GOD, for my hope is in him.”

“I wait quietly before GOD, for my salvation comes from him.”

“I am exhausted from crying for help; my throat is parched and dry. My eyes are swollen with weeping, waiting for my GOD to help me.”

“The LORD is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him.”

“As for me, I look to the LORD for his help. I wait confidently for GOD to save me, and my GOD will certainly hear me”

“I will climb up into my watchtower now and wait to see what the LORD will say to me and how he will answer my complaint.”

“But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed.”

I could go on and on. The Lord is asking me to TRUST… to WAIT.

Just to bring this to reality. This is not easy. In fact, frankly, it sucks! (for those of you who do not care for this word please pardon it…but it is how I feel!) It does! I realize that GOD has purpose and a plan for me and I would love for that purpose to be revealed right now.

Yet apparently I am still in the training process. Don’t you know that Moses was so glad for all those years of experience herding flocks of dumb sheep and the years in the desert with GOD, when he then had to herd a flock of GOD’s people!! I am sure there were many times that he wished he could go back to the desert and away from the purpose that GOD finally did reveal.

I am ready for things to happen NOW! But GOD is saying wait. As HE has never failed me yet, I am willing to obey. My prayer is that I learn what I need to learn, and am granted the grace and the patience to not step in front of GOD’s plan for my life. My desire is to serve and to glorify. Nothing more, nothing less.

God is not in a hurry. We are. We get down before God and pray, then we get up and say, “it is all done now,” and in the light of the glory of the “vision” we go and do the thing. But it is not real, and GOD has to take us into the valley and put us through fires and floods to batter us (read..our stubborn selves) into shape, until we get into the condition in which HE can trust us with the reality of HIS vision for us.

Waiting......
The End

No comments: